Thursday, March 3, 2011

Natural Disasters

There have been so many natural disasters in the news lately. Earthquakes, mud slides, floods, and fire strikes to name the most recent. I have a friend from New Zealand (earthquake), family in Ohio (floods) and grew up with tornadoes.
Often these disasters come with little warning. What can you do to be prepared?
First, stay informed. What likely disasters make strike your community and what are the community plans for dealing with the disaster?
Have a plan if you have to evacuate. Keep your gas tank nearly full. Keep your phone charged. If time, know how to shut off your utilities.
Keep a grab and go bag packed. I use the guide from Judith Kolberg's Organize for Disaster: Prepare Your Family and Home for any Natural or Unnatural Disaster. I have money in the bag as well as copies of all important papers and passwords, food, change of clothing, radio, flashlight, first aid kit, and more.
Have a plan for your pets.
Quick evacuations happen more frequently than you might imagine. I had to briefly leave my home when a tree fell.
Please share with me your plan.
Jonda S. Beattie
Professional Organizer

No comments: