Anytime I start working on a zone in my home, I begin with a vision. And since I share this room with my husband, it needs to be a shared vision. We want this room to have a calming, relaxed feel and be a place that sparks joy and happiness. We like soft light but still desire enough light for reading. My husband meditates here so the room should have an uncluttered, peaceful feel.
Then, I make a brainstorm list of all that we need to do to make this room align with our vision.
This month I will:
- Declutter my closet: I will discard all clothing I no longer need or love and organize the space so the most often worn items are the easiest to reach.
- Declutter the dresser drawers: I will discard all that I no longer want and organize the space to make it more efficient. I will move the long sleeve tops to a lower drawer and place the short sleeve tops and shells in a higher drawer.
- Strip and clean the bed: I will clean the frame and all the linens and store the duvet until it gets cold again.
- Clean and clear the nightstands: I will remove reading material that we have already read or that has stacked up and empty and clean out the drawers.
- Evaluate the accessories: I will remove any that we no longer love.
- Clean windows and blinds: I only wash the inside of the windows at this point in time as at another time I clean all of the windows on the outside.
- Clean and wax furniture: This is one time where I really clean and then use paste wax on the good furniture.
All of the above tasks are scheduled on the calendar with some "wiggle room" for when unexpected events happen or if tasks take longer than expected.
At the end of the month I reward myself by buying a couple of new items to replace some of the tossed items. Then I put out fresh flowers and enjoy the clean, fresh bedroom.
Jonda S. Beattie